We have posted updated reviews of the following topics:
We have added new images to the following topics
We have updated the About Us page with a history of our website, click here.
I thought it helpful to reiterate our mission, which is to help Pathologists find information fast so we can do a better job. Helping Pathologists is more important than making money. After I started the website in August 2001, it took several years before we were making any money (I was not being paid anything but was covering all the expenses personally).
This philosophy is important because we frequently get asked by potential advertisers to take some action that will compromise our relationship with pathologists. We have been pushed hard to give out our email lists (which we do not do), to require registration, to have obnoxious ads (that expand into the page) and to partner with individuals or organizations that we believe will degrade the website.
We do have a labor intensive website, with 13 current employees (plus recruitment for a few more) to support 100 active authors, 19 editorial board members, an Editor-in-Chief and a Deputy Editor-in-Chief. We also have expensive consultants for IT, productivity software, management, accounting and the law. But we try to ensure that any advertising adds to, or at least does not detract from our mission.
We invite you to contribute images to our Facebook page, click here. This allows you to have ownership and to get crowd feedback. We are no longer posting these images to the appropriate topic ourselves because reviewing and posting images is a very labor intensive process involving multiple levels of oversight by our Editorial Board and staff to verify the diagnosis and ensure the image and legends meet our standards.
We are pleased to announce the promotion of Kristi Z Marie to Managing Editor of PathologyOutlines.com. Over the next year, Kristi will help standardize and manage procedures for staff and authors to improve our free online textbook. Kristi’s background is in writing, editing and education. She has been working with PathologyOutlines.com since 2012, during which time she has updated the textbook, overseen authors and created editorial procedures.
We have posted updated reviews of the following topics:
- Bone > Fibrous and fibroosseous tumors of bone > McCune-Albright syndrome by Travis H. Johnson, D.O., M.S., Senior Author: Jessica L. Davis, M.D. Topic summary: Significantly expanded, updated and revised.
- Lymphoma and plasma cell neoplasms > Hodgkin lymphoma > Nodular lymphocyte predominant by Jayalakshmi Balakrishna, M.D., Senior Author: Elaine S. Jaffe, M.D. Topic summary: Added new images. Updated information on immunophenotype, architectural patterns, prognosis and treatment options.
- Lymphoma and plasma cell neoplasms > Mature B cell neoplasms: Mantle cell lymphoma > Leukemic nonnodal mantle cell lymphoma by Nicholas Nowacki, M.D. Topic summary: New leukemic nonnodal mantle cell lymphoma summary.
- Lymphoma and plasma cell neoplasms > T / NK cell disorders > T cell prolymphocytic leukemia by Min Shi, M.D., Ph.D., Senior Author: Dragan Jevremovic, M.D., Ph.D. Topic summary: Updated version with new images, updated differential diagnosis, and consensus diagnostic criteria.
- Liver and intrahepatic bile ducts tumor > Hepatocellular carcinoma > Macrotrabecular massive hepatocellular carcinoma by Rong Xia, M.D., Ph.D., Senior Author: Xuchen Zhang, M.D., Ph.D. Topic summary: Description of new subtype classification.
- Oral cavity > Other benign tumors / conditions > Salivary duct cyst by Nathan Lee, D.M.D., Senior Author: Tony Ng, M.D., Ph.D. Topic summary: More detailed microscopic description, pathophysiology and micrographs.
- Ovary tumor > Sex cord stromal tumors > Signet ring stromal tumor by Aarti Sharma, M.D., Senior Author: Jennifer Bennett, M.D. Topic summary: Clinical, gross, and microscopic features were added, along with a differential diagnosis.
- Pancreas > Neuroendocrine neoplasms > Clear cell pancreatic endocrine tumor by Adam L. Booth, M.D., Senior Author: Raul S. Gonzalez, M.D. Topic summary: Now updated with more references, details and board review questions.
- Pleura > Mesothelial tumors > Pathologic TNM staging of pleural mesothelioma (AJCC 8th edition) by Debra Zynger, M.D., Andrey Bychkov, M.D., Ph.D.
- Prostate > Prostatic carcinoma variants > Ductal adenocarcinoma by Sarah Findeis, M.D., Senior Author: He Huang, M.D., Ph.D. Topic summary: Updated topic and expanded differential diagnosis, new photographs, and molecular markers content.
- Transfusion medicine > Transfusion side effects > Post-transfusion purpura (PTP) by Kyle Annen, D.O. Topic summary: More detailed pathophysiology and differential diagnosis.
We are pleased to have posted a record 451 paid job ads on our Jobs page on 11 October 2019. We appreciate the confidence that our advertisers have in us. We are constantly evaluating our website to see how we can improve the experience for our visitors and advertisers. For example, we recently removed some third party banner advertisements that slowed down loading of some of the pages. Let us know if you have any thoughts on how we can make the website better by clicking on the Comments tag in the Header or Footer.
Check out our Industry News page. We have updated it with the following articles from:
- AdvantEdge Healthcare Solutions – The Healthcare Landscape is Changing – Billing Services are the Safe Bet
Through continuous process improvement (CPI) successful companies constantly re-evaluate their business process to assure they are running their business in the most effective, efficient and innovative manner. Medical practices are no different and must adapt to the ever-changing landscape to survive long-term. Companies that thrive are the ones that create the correct environment for success.
Rest of article
We are pleased to announce the promotion of Rosie Dalat to Chief Operating Officer of PathologyOutlines.com. Over the next year, Rosie will assume the day to day operations of running the business from Dr. Pernick, who will focus on long term strategy and collaborations. Rosie is an Industrial Engineer with extensive experience in marketing. Over the past 4 years she has worked on and supervised advertisements, email campaigns and IT textbook updates for PathologyOutlines.com.